Cathie works with people who want to lose weight and keep it off. She realises that the desire to lose weight is only a part of a person’s life – there are other things that are important to them. She treats her clients as ‘whole’ people, so she supports them through whatever else is going on in their life while they are losing weight. In fact sometimes other things need to be dealt with before her clients even get started on losing weight.
Cathie believes that we are all unique and so what is most helpful for one person may not be best for someone else.
Cathie assists her clients clarify what they want to achieve and why. They look at what is happening that is contributing to the difficulty they have in losing weight and come up with strategies to deal with these. Cathie’s clients experiment with different strategies and then reflect – were these strategies effective? Do I need to adapt them, or try something different?
Cathie and her clients keep experimenting until they figure out what are the most effective strategies for this person – the ones that work with their lifestyle and their body.
- What sort of strategies do Cathy’s client use ? Mostly Cathy’s clients create the strategies themselves.
- Why would they want to come to a weight loss coach if they know what to do already? Although most people have the capacity to figure out effective strategies, they often get stuck looking at a problem from one perspective – through an old set of glasses. They need someone to ask them the right questions to get them looking at things in a new light. Cathy helps them put on a new pair of glasses so they can look at things differently.
Sometimes Cathy can see that her clients may benefit from some of her extensive knowledge about
- Nutrition for weight loss
- Activity and weight loss
- Behaviour change and weight loss
- Our ways of thinking and how this affects us.
- Setting up the environment and support structures to assist weight loss.
Cathy offers this information to her clients, like a sales person in a clothing shop might suggest a customer try on a garment.
“This might be what you are looking for – would you like to try it on? I think it might suit you. “
And just as clothing shop assistant wouldn’t insist the customer try the garment on – Cathy does not insist that her clients MUST do what she suggests
What else does Cathy do ?
Throughout the experimentation phase, and the maintaining new behaviours phase, Cathie is her clients support person. She is there to keep them focused, and help them anticipate pitfalls. She is there to encourage them to pick themselves up if an experiment doesn’t work and they feel like giving up. She is also there to celebrate their successes with them!
Cathie loves working with the interesting and resourceful people who are her clients. She would love to hear from you and offers a free 20 min session to all potential clients. There is no obligation for potential clients to hire Cathie after this session – it is simply a way for them to get to know Cathie ( and for Cathie to get to know them) , and for them both to work out if coaching with Cathie is the best thing right now.
Be confident – give Cathie a ring !